10 Tips to Help Improve Your Websites Ranking
Posted on 14th September 2016 at 11:36
In this blog I’m going to give you some tips on what you can do to try and help improve your ranking on Google and yes we will be talking about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) and it isn’t really as scary or hard as you think it is.
1. The biggest thing I can say is if your target audience are going to be viewing your website on a mobile device then your website must be mobile friendly, Google reports that 61% of website visitors will leave your website if it isn’t mobile friendly and Google also introduced an algorithm in Apr 2015 which penalises websites that aren’t mobile friendly when searching from a mobile or tablet device. To test whether Google thinks your website is mobile friendly, click on the link below
2. Use Social Media platforms and have them linked into your website and link back to your website from these platforms, I won’t go into much about this topic on this blog, you can view other blogs about Social Media by clicking here. But needless to say Google like you to interact with social media, so using it can help, Google doesn’t know how many followers you have so even if you don’t have a great following still keep plugging away.
3. Content is key, you must have relevant content on your website and plenty of it, a 5 page website is not likely to perform better than a 25 page website, that is assuming that they both offer the same services and they both have roughly the same word count on each page, there are exemptions, but as an example if you offer five different services, then you are better to have one page called Services which is an overview of all the different services that you offer and then five separate pages for each service, this really helps with your SEO.
4. If you have any images in your website make sure they have an alt tag, what this means is a text equivalent of the image, the reason for this is Google cannot see images when it crawls your website, all it sees is big empty spaces, which is why you need to add the text, this also helps with your SEO.
5. Videos, everyone loves to watch a video and if you use YouTube for your videos even better as Google owns YouTube so Google loves YouTube, there are great things that you can do with YouTube to help make your videos searchable in their own right also. Now I know having a professional video done can be very, or even very, very expensive, but there are ways around it, but one of them is NOT to use your mobile phone, unless you have the steadiest of hands it will be obvious that is what you have done and it will look awful, so what you can do is produce a slideshow of images of your products or services, borrow a proper camcorder and video Client testimonials.
6. Add SEO into each page of your website, not just your home page and make it relevant to the content of that page, also do not repeat the same SEO Title or SEO Description and do not make it too long and keep your main key words near the beginning. If you go to Google and type site:www.yourdomain this will show all the website pages that are listed by Google and will show your SEO as it would be seen in a search.
7. Update your website on a regular basis, as Google likes to see that you are making changes, you should be adding new content or making changes to your website at least once a month, but if you have a lot of changes to make, do it over several days and only spend about half an hour each day making the changes, so if you spend 2 ½ hours working on your website on one day, Google will see one change, but if you have worked for ½ an hour a day for 5 days Google will see 5 changes to your website.
8. Google My Business make sure that you have set this up, again, it’s all part of Google, but what this does is it can help you show on the map listings and also have the box about your business on the right of a search page (if viewed on a computer)
9. So as your setting up your Google My Business page set up a Google Plus Page
10. Last but by no means least have your website set up to Google Analytics, not just because Google likes it, but so you can see how your website is performing.
I hope that you have found this interesting, if you have please share it, if you would like a free website health check or would like to discuss any of this in more detail please contact me.
I will be writing further blogs more in depth to each point, so please keep checking back.
So I hope you like it and please feel free to share your thoughts by adding a comment and if you would like to have a chat about a new website then please contact me.
So until next time, keep smiling and good luck in your Business or everything that you choose to do.
My Business is Helping Your Business.
Share this post: